Item is currently out of stock. Please contact us to pre-order.
Louis C. Kalff (1897-1976) was a Dutch pioneer in the field of industrial design and a renowned architect of light. At the Quellinusschool (the later Rietveld Academy) in Amsterdam, Kalff applied himself to the making of furniture, to sculpture, modelling and advertising and later expanded his training as an architect at the Polytechnic School in Delft. His versatile talent already delivered him several design assignments during his studies. In 1925 Kalff began working for the advertising department of Philips where he achieved the leading position in no time. His tasks varied from product design, to packaging, covers for brochures, window displays and stands at fairs. Louis Kalff also designed the famous company logo. In 1929 he started the light consultancy branch and participated in the World Exhibitions in Barcelona, Brussels and Paris with large-scale light shows. For the Brussels Expo 58, Kalff worked with Le Corbusier on the creation of the prestigious Philips Pavilion. Kalff left his visual mark on the company in so many ways that he is seen as the artistic conscience of Philips. His far-reaching knowledge in various fields, aesthetic feel and modern approach will long resonate. In addition to his career at Philips, Louis Kalff continued to take on architectural assignments and worked as a freelance designer. In 1941 he wrote the book Artificial light and architecture.